Thursday, September 22, 2011

Serenity


Yesterday, as I was driving to get my new Arizona drivers license, I pulled up behind a car with a license plate that read BSERENE. What a reminder!  I was tired and my mind was slipping because of all the daily pressures and worries.  I needed that reminder to refocus on the positive and re-frame my thinking according to the reality of God's peace.

I was tied up in traffic, but there it was again in front of me just before I turned.  It immediately made me think of the Serenity Prayer. Here we are reminded that God is our source of peace.  It starts with acceptance, taking things as they are.  That's always a good place to start. Then asks for courage and wisdom to change while enjoying each moment and trusting that whatever hardships we face will work for our good as we surrender to his will. What a powerful prayer!  God grant us serenity!

se·ren·i·tyNoun/səˈrenitē/

The state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled:

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments:

Post a Comment