Saturday, May 26, 2012

Repentance & Confession


Cactus Garden, Carefree, Arizona
Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 
  Put on your new nature, created to be like God—
truly righteous and holy.
 Eph 4:23-24 (NLT)

Our lives are never free from conflict with our old nature.  Whenever we become stressed, annoyed, tired, etc. we are faced with the temptation to become short or sarcastic and may say unloving things.  We become self-centered, more concerned with our own feelings than the other person.  In those times, it's hard to yield and allow the Holy Spirit to control our attitudes, thoughts, words and actions. 

Our goal is to be like Christ – even-tempered, understanding and gentle. But, because of our human weaknesses we fall short.  Whenever we are not acting in accord with the love of Christ, the spirit within us makes us feel uncomfortable.  When this happens, the only remedy is to turn our hearts toward him (repentance), acknowledge our failure (confession), and ask for his assistance.  He is the only one who can keep us from falling.  

Oh Lord, when I am out of sorts, come through with your sweet spirit to help me control my tongue.  Help me to allow your spirit to live in and through me. When I fall short, may I quickly acknowledge my failure and turn to you.  Help me to learn the art of self-care so that I do not become too hungry, too angry, too tired or too stressed out which leaves me vulnerable to temptation. 

If we claim we have no sin, 
we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. 
But if we confess our sins to him, 
he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins 
and to cleanse us from all wickedness.
1 John 1:8-9 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment