Friday, May 11, 2012

Incremental Improvement

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.
Phil 1:6 (NLT)


One day as I walked by a Cholla close to the walkway at the clubhouse, I noticed two baby birds hunkered down in a nest.  Each day as I walked by, I'd check on the little creatures. 
 


Soon fuzz began to appear and they were always ready with their mouths wide waiting for a morsel from mama.


 












One day, I checked the nest and the babies weren't there.  I looked and there I saw one sitting on a branch in the cactus.  The next day, there it was again just sitting there. The day after, it was gone.  The little bird had grown its feathers and flown.







Those little birds were nurtured along until they were able to be on their own just as God nurtures us so that we will grow into maturity.  Often, the growth is imperceptible.  We grow by small increments each day until one day we realize we have made a little progress. We find that something we were not able to do before becomes easier for us.  Or, instead of having our usual negative reaction we actually respond in a positive way.

Its a little like my golf game.  It seems I'm not making any progress, yet each day I make a few more good shots.  Other days, things continue to go wrong but I know if I keep my eyes on the prize and continue to work at it I will improve and change will come - incremental, imperceptible change.  We can't expect to be changed overnight, but if we continue in faith, praying and believing change will come in God's time.

For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
Phil 2:13 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment