Thursday, January 5, 2012

Growth in Love


Love each other as I have loved you.
John 15:12 (NIV)

Let love be your highest goal!
1 Cor 14:1 (NLT)

As the holidays wind down and I return to my normal routine, I find a little time to contemplate the new year.  What direction am I heading?  What do I want to focus on this year?  I wonder, "What does Jesus have in mind?  What is his priority?"

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.  Love each other in the same way I have loved you.

Jesus' priority seems clear.  His main focus was and is love - that we might experience the love he had in his father and then spread that love around.  What could be a higher goal for the new year than growth in love?  But, how do we do that?  What does it look like?  It seems like such a big topic.  What could be more difficult than learning to love?  It's definitely more than a semester course or a year's focus.  It's a life time goal.

The good news is we have a great teacher.  Someone who is not just teaching the subject matter, but someone who has actually experienced it to the full.  And he is a special kind of teacher.  He never chides or harasses or criticizes when we stumble.  He is humble and gentle and, as we listen to him and rest and abide in his love, the learning becomes a natural part of our everyday lives. The learning process often involves difficult lessons, but our teacher's gentle support never changes.

Lord, give us hearts to hear as we think about how our lives can grow in love this year.  Stimulate us to growth by your gentle and humble spirit.

Learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
Matt 11:29 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment