Monday, January 9, 2012

Courtesy

Love each other with genuine affection, 
and take delight in honoring each other.
Romans 12:10 (NLT)


If you watch television at all you’ve probably seen a lot of rude and discourteous behavior.  It seems that in this day and age in our culture people are actually taught the art of an insult. In a different era, people were taught about gracious speech, about politeness and consideration for others.  Today, in Asian culture, courteous and respectful behavior is taught and expected. 
 
Our words have a lot of power to effect how another person feels.  For example, I have noticed in the realm of customer service, when someone acknowledges my concern and expresses empathy for my problem, I feel better.  Even though I know these people have been trained and are getting paid to speak to me that way, I am amazed that it still has the desired effect of making me feel cared for.
 
Love can be expressed simply in courteous and respectful words.  Courtesy is important because it expresses regard for the feelings of others.  Courtesy in our speech honors the other person and says that we regard them as valuable enough to be spoken to with respect and consideration.  Love is always concerned with the well being of the other.  Our words have the power to either harm or heal, to build up or to tear down.  If we love, we don't want to hurt someone’s feelings or cause them unnecessary pain or distress. 
 
In this world we experience many harsh and unpleasant things.  Lord, I thank you for the beauty of your world where there is no ugliness, no rudeness.  May our lives be a reflection of your world with our mouths full of loving, courteous words that honor and build up. 
 
Love is not....rude. 
1 Cor 13:5


No comments:

Post a Comment