Thursday, January 20, 2011

Heavenly Minded

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Supreme Court Justice in the early 20th century said "Some people are so heavenly minded that they are no earthy good."  I know that this refers to those who are so "otherworldly"  that they don't take care of practical things here on earth, but for me, setting my mind on heavenly things fits me better for life here.

Jesus taught us to pray "Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven."  (Matt. 6:10).  This is a powerful request.  The culture and language of the kingdom of heaven are just the things we need here on the earth.   Love and Power, Peace and Joy are the substance of heaven.  If we possess these qualities our lives are useful here on earth.

It reminds me of the prayer in that old song, "Higher Ground."  When my husband and I served at Teen Challenge in 1968, the men who were there recovering from drug & alcohol abuse just loved to sing with all their hearts,

Lord, lift me up and let me stand
By faith on heavens tableland
A higher plane than I have found
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

Let us make this our prayer. As we focus on the things of heaven let us become representatives of heaven here on earth.  

Let heaven fill your thoughts.
Col. 3:2

Listen to the whole song at www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKgUyjeKMLk

No comments:

Post a Comment