Sunday, March 4, 2012

If I forget . . . .

We heard this beautiful song sung by the Northwestern College Choir at our church on Friday evening.  Here are the lyrics attributed to Robert Browning.  Music composed by Craig Courtney.

If I forget, yet God remembers.
If these hands of mine cease from their clinging,
yet the Hands divine hold me so firmly I cannot fall.

And if sometimes I am too tired to call for Him to help me,
then He reads the prayer unspoken in my heart and lifts my care.

I dare not fear since certainly I know that I am in God's keeping,
shielded so, from all that else would harm,
and in the hour of stern temptation, strengthened by His power.

I tread no path in life to Him unknown;
I lift no burden, bear no pain, alone;
my soul a calm, sure hiding place has found:
the everlasting Arms my life surround.

God, Thou art love!  I build my faith on that.
I know Thee who has kept my path,
and made light for me in the darkness,
tempering sorrow so that it reached me like a solemn joy.

It were too strange that I should doubt Thy love.

No comments:

Post a Comment